Nimpo Lake Resort History

Nimpo Lake Resort was built by Bob Leith in 1956. The 80-acre parcel had formerly been a ranch with sheep, horses and cattle. Prior to that, it was the site of a Native war camp which included a long-house. One can still find arrowheads and artifacts buried in the soil. In 1969 Mary Kirner purchased the then 80-acre parcel from Bob Leith. Along with her husband, 3 children, 3 cats and a dog, she left the Fraser Valley and headed to her their new wilderness home. Mary and her family lived in spartan conditions, with no electricity or running water, and only wood heat in an un-insulated shack, until they built their new home in 1971. Mary cut her own trees down, bucked them up, hauled them to her home and chopped them with the axe in preparation for the cold winter months. Electricity was not brought in until 1981! Mary ran Nimpo Lake Resort (a true labour of love) from 1969-2009 and now lives, with her partner, Logan Sudeith, in her retirement home on a waterfront section of the resort property. Mary continues to visit with resort guest/friends, spend time with her family.